Since 2008 the college has been involved in a partnership with BMS World Mission to enable students to experience something of the world church.
Here are some of the reasons why we include overseas trips in our ministry programme:
- It enhances understanding of cross-cultural ministry in the UK – and opens students imagination and heart to service in another part of the world.
- It provides an opportunity for guided theological reflection on issues such as poverty and injustice in a setting where these are everyday realities.
- It expands horizons through seeing first-hand God’s work in churches which are experiencing both suffering and growth.
- It gives the opportunity to experience some missional activity in a different context.
- It provides a shared experience which informs study and practice whilst at Bristol and into ministry
- Those who have been in past years have found that it has profoundly affected their understanding of God and the Church, transforming the way they think, see the world and themselves.
- The feedback has been extremely positive and the impact is felt not only by those who go but on the whole college community.
Quotes from students about their overseas placement:
“This was a wonderful opportunity. I’m so glad I went.”
“I learnt so much more than I thought I would. It was an incredible experience for me and I cannot express how much I think everyone should do it.”
“Really excellent – one of the most significant parts of my whole training so far.”