Godly play is an approach based on Montessori principles – we respond to the child’s request to ‘help me do it by myself.’ This puts the teacher in the role of spiritual supporter or guide who fully accepts that each child has his or her own relationship with God already. The teaching takes place in different ways at the same time: it is multi-modal and multi-sensory.
Godly Play is a movement to influence the Churches’ support of spiritually rich practices with children and adults.
The Heart of Godly Play
- Creating Sacred Space
- Building and working in community
- Learning religious language
- Using religious language to make meaning
A Godly Play session includes a time to:-
- get ready
- tell a story using objects and artefacts
- explore the story more with open questions and discussion
- respond with a free choice using a variety of materials – art… silence… play… writing…
- enjoy a simple feast and sharing
The introductory day takes place on Saturday 19th November, 9.45am – 4pm at Tyndale Baptist Church, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, BS8 2QG. The day costs £30, which includes refreshments but please bring your own lunch. A minimum £10 deposit must be paid at the time of booking.
For more information, or to book your place, please contact the CYM office in 01179 469 209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org