A Course of Christian Learning for Discipleship and Ministry in Today’s World, in partnership with the Baptist Union of Great Britain
PFS is for you if:
- you are seeking training and recognition as a Lay Pastor or Preacher
- you have been called to another ministry or role within the local church
- you simply want to explore your faith further.
- part of the Baptist Training Partnership – a consortium of the Baptist Colleges and Regional Associations and the Baptist Union of Great Britain
- a three year modular course leading to the Certificate of Bristol Baptist College in which students build up a portfolio of learning
- a course approved by the Baptist Union of Great Britain for those seeking to become locally recognised Pastors or Preachers.
- a flexible course which means that modules completed at other Baptist Colleges or equivalent modules from other institutions can be credited towards the final portfolio. PFS is also open to those who are interested in attending single modules only
- a manageable course at Access level, consisting of attendance at the College on 8 Saturdays each year (2 Saturdays per module) with 2 written assignments for each module. To complete the course, students must successfully complete all 12 modules. No previous qualifications are required
- a rolling programme which means that you can commence the course at any time with any module.
Watch our short video to find out more about PFS.
When and where is PFS held?
PFS will normally place take from 10.00 am – 4.00 pm on 8 Saturdays in the year. Students must attend at least 50% of the teaching days in order to submit assignments.
What do I need to bring with me?
PFS students will need to bring a packed lunch (tea and coffee provided) and a bible, notebook and pen.
What will I study?
For a list of the PFS modules being delivered this year, as well as details of the other modules which make up the course, please click here.
How much does it cost?
PFS students – Each module for PFS students costs £50 (this includes attendance for 2 Saturdays plus notes and tutor support, as well as assignment marking and feedback, and course certificate on completion).
Saturday Students – (those not registered for the full PFS Course) – £12.50 for each Saturday attended. Each module consists of two Saturdays.
Applicants are encouraged to approach their churches for assistance towards the cost of the course.
If you are using this course towards local recognition as a Lay Preacher or Pastor then you must first apply to your Regional Association who will interview you and refer you to the College to begin the course.
How can I enrol?
PFS students taking the full course will attend all twelve modules over 3 years and write two 1500 words assignments per module. Once all 24 assignments have been marked, the student receives a Certificate (access level). However please note that we only enrol students for a year at a time.
PFS student registration documents include a response form, a commendation form and a data consent form. All documents can be filled online and emailed back to email@example.com. Please note that the Data Consent form needs a real signature. Payment is required in advance, via a cheque sent to PFS Administrator (address on the response form) or via BACS. The PFS Administrator can provide bank details for this on request.
Saturday students just attend individual modules without any essay writing obligations but no Certificate is provided afterwards. For registration, please click on the Eventbrite link below for the module you wish to attend. You will need to pay through Eventbrite. Please note there are separate Eventbrite pages for each day of the module.
What they say:
“I believe PFS will enable anyone taking part to grow in their understanding and experience of how God has equipped them to be more involved in ministry and mission through the church. I warmly commend this course – whole, or part – as a great way to be challenged and equipped for present and future service.”
Rev Nigel Coles, Regional Minister Team Leader, West of England Baptist Association