The Certificate in Theology, Ministry and Mission integrates the highest level of theological education with vocational training in Children, Youth and Family ministry, to provide informed and experienced training for those called to specialist ministries and mission with children, youth. families and the communities where they live.
The Certificate of Higher Education offers a track of modules in a range of areas of mission and ministry with children, young people, families and communities, in a variety of contexts. This pathway can lead to relevant vocational qualifications or recognition. The flexibility of this course provides a learning experience where you will train alongside trainee church ministers to uniquely prepare you for ministry within the church, community, and broader mission contexts.
Modules are taught at Bristol Baptist College through six block weeks of teaching spread across the year. You will experience the benefit of an extended time focussed on a specialist area of ministry. In between block weeks you will work on your assignments, supported through online tutorials. This Certificate has the flexibility to be completed full time or part time so is suited to you whether you are a paid worker or on an apprenticeship, intern or gap year experience.
Find out what studying with us is really like by watching this short video of one of our students.
What will I study?
Students cover a range of topics to deepen subject knowledge and understanding and developing key skills in the following areas:
- Approaches to working with children, young people, and their families within and beyond the church
- Biblical narratives and concepts, principles and methods, tools of biblical interpretation
- Theories of human identity and childhood & adolescent developmental stages
- Contemporary and biblical models of family and approaches to discipleship and care for the family through the seasons of life
- Theological reflection and the application of this to your context, to enrich ministerial practice
- Approaches to mission with, and for, children, young people, and families locally or globally
Learning in, and from, practice
- For the duration of the course, you will be placed in a church or other appropriate setting where your formation in ministry and mission will be rooted in ongoing practice
- Group tutorials provide opportunity for you to engage with experienced professionals, and participate in formation learning that, together, support the application of learning within your practice and attend to your personal spiritual formation
- We will ensure you receive support from a dedicated line manager and other colleagues within these contexts, as well as a dedicated team within the theological college who oversee all aspects of your studies.
Progression beyond the Certificate
- Continue to study for Diploma and/or BA Honours degree
- Ministerial roles within church or local and national Christian organisations
- Nursery, children and/or family support worker roles
- School work supporting learning and teaching
Entry Requirements are at least one A level or equivalent. Relevant work experience will also be considered.
Contact us for information about tuition fees and student loan funding for students in England, Scotland and Wales.
If you’d like to find out more, or to arrange to visit us and talk to a tutor, fill in your details using the form below and we’ll get back to you.