The Certificate in Theology, Ministry and Mission combines cutting edge vocational training in Children and Family ministry, with the highest level of theological education, to provide some of the leading training available for those called to specialist ministries and mission with children, families and the communities where they live.
This is a flexible course where you can choose to specialise in a range of areas of mission and ministry with children, families and communities, in a variety of contexts. This pathway can lead to relevant vocational qualifications or recognition, including CYM Professional and Ministerial Endorsement and SkillsActive (Playwork) CPD points. This Certificate of Higher Education provides a learning experience where you will train alongside trainee church ministers to uniquely prepare you for ministry within the church, community, and broader mission contexts.
Modules are taught one day a week at Bristol Baptist College, with a further 2 block weeks of teaching where you will experience the benefit of an extended time focussed on a specialist area of ministry. This blended model of delivery allows for ministerial formation to be integrated into the weekly and block teaching delivery. This Certificate has the flexibility to be completed full time or part time so is suited to you whether you are a paid worker or on an apprenticeship, intern or gap year experience.
Find out what studying with us is really like by watching this short video of one of our students.
What will I study?
Students cover a wide range of topics to deepen subject knowledge and understanding and developing key skills in the following areas:
- Approaches to working with children and their families within and beyond the church
- Biblical narratives and concepts, principles and methods, tools of biblical interpretation
- Theories of human identity and childhood developmental stages
- Contemporary and biblical models of family and approaches to discipleship and care for the family through the seasons of life
- Theological reflection and the application of this to your context, to enrich ministerial practice
- Approaches to mission with, and for, children and families locally or globally, including the use of play as a people gatherer, community builder and tool for creative communication.
Learning in, and from, practice
- For the duration of the course, you will be placed in a church or other appropriate setting where your formation in ministry and mission will be rooted in ongoing practice
- Group tutorials provide opportunity for you to engage with experienced professionals, and participate in formation learning that, together, support the application of learning within your practice and attend to your personal spiritual formation
- We will ensure you receive support from a dedicated line manager and other colleagues within these contexts, as well as a dedicated team within the theological college who oversee all aspects of your studies.
Progression beyond the Certificate
- Continue to study for Diploma and/or BA Honours degree
- Ministerial roles within church or local and national Christian organisations
- Local authority nursery, children and/or family support worker
- Primary school work as learning mentor, playworker, teaching assistant
Entry Requirements are at least one A level or equivalent. Relevant work experience will also be considered.
Contact us for information about tuition fees and student loan funding for students in England, Scotland and Wales.
If you’d like to find out more, or to arrange to visit us and talk to a tutor, fill in your details using the form below and we’ll get back to you.